Title: Healthy Steps for Older Adults.
Instructor: The Change Company.
Why I chose to take this class:
How to get the necessary exercise for older adults. Besides exercise, you will need to eat healthy, stay active, get enough sleep and practice healthy relaxation.
What I learned from this class:
The mind an the body are connected, your physical health also paly a role inn developing mental strength.
How to Stay Active:
- Try viewing physical activity as an enjoyable part of your day rather than a chore.
- Think about activities you can do with community members to increase your commitment.
- Make it a habit. The more regularly you engage in physical activity, the easier it will become.
- Set reasonable goals. You don’t have to be an athlete. Just challenge yourself a little more each day.
Tip for Healthy Eating:
- Choose fruits and vegetables when possible.
- Get enough protein. Meat, beans, nuts and fish, and eggs are all good sources.
- Eat more fibers and less fat and salt.
- Look at your grocery choices. Do you buy foods that support a healthy lifestyle? Substitute items high in sugar and fat for healthier choices.
- Include more healthy foods in meals each day.
Tips for Getting Enough Sleep:
- Go to sleep about the same time each night and wake up about the same time each day.
- Do something relaxing before bedtime like reading or listening to calm music.
- Pay attention to your sleep patterns. If you’re tired midday, think about changes you can make to get enough sleep at night.
- Avoid watching Television before bed time. This can make falling asleep more difficult.
Tips for Healthy Relaxation:
- Take slow, deep breaths. Although it’s easiest to focus on this in a quiet space, you can practice anywhere.
- Write a journal. You can express yourself, manage emotions and lower your stress level by writing about your day.
- Take a walk. Try paying attentions to the feeling of your feet on the ground to calm your mind.
- Read a book. It can be entertaining, educational or spiritual. Reading lets you focus on ideas outside your own thoughts.
How will this class contribute to my success upon release:
This class emphasis the need for exercise for older adults. Besides exercise, they should also eat healthy, get enough sleep and learn how to relax. the knowledge can be conveyed to the Geriatric communities which I hope to volunteer my efforts.