Journal Entry: Gary Goulin-02/22/2024-KEEP A BOOK WITH YOU AT ALL TIMES

Journal Entry

This was a day that I think would have been challenging for everyone. I survived and learned more lessons in patience.

The day started at 8am with my being called to report for chest x-ray. Apparently, every new person here gets an x-ray. There were 6 of us called. We waited and waited. At 9am we were told to remain patient, x-ray would happen soon. We learned that they were not using the x-ray machine here at the facility because of the previous transformer issues. We would be transported over to the detention center (jail) that’s part of this huge campus. I was picturing the 6 of us being loaded on to a bus and heading to the detention center which was maybe 1/4 mile away. Nope.

At 9:40am they called out one of the people, not all 6. An hour later he returned and the next person was called. They were taking us individually there and back. Shortly after the second person left, the 4 of us remaining, were brought to the Receiving and Departing area (where I had been just over a week before self – surrendering) and placed in a holding cell to wait until it was our turn. The officers were kind enough to bring us all boxed lunches.

Luckily the pace picked up after the second person. I was called shortly before noon. That was an experience into and of itself. I don’t know if it was a policy of the detention center or my low-security prison, but I had to be taken there cuffed and shackled and return the same way. The officers appeared annoyed at having to do this; I was fascinated by the whole procedure; it wasn’t really uncomfortable. But it is exactly as it appears in the movies. After the less than 2 minute ride, to the DC, I was brought in and its x-ray department (which was a room ) was right there. After the electronic bars opened and I entered, I was de-shackled and de-cuffed. The officer left, cuffs and shackles in hand, and left to get the last person. My x-ray took 2 seconds, and because I wasn’t allowed to remain long on the bench outside the room, I was placed in a holding cell until my officer returned, which though took about 5 minutes seemed like an eternity. The cell was dirty and disgusting; I cannot imaging having to spend any amount of time there. After getting re-cuffed and re-shakled. I returned back ‘’home”, cuffs and shackles removed, and I could once again enjoy my “freedom”. Totally puts things in perspective. I returned just before 1pm!

I needed to see my unit counselor, who had office hours from 1-2pm. Of course, there was a line. I finally got in to see him at 1:50pm. Luckily, I finished by the 2pm move so I could enjoy an outside walk around the track since the weather was sunny and not too cold. It was nice to get some fresh air after an exasperating day.

But I did learn an important lesson:

Never go anywhere without a book. The 5-hour chest x-ray ordeal would have been less stressful and certainly more productive had I had a book with me. I’m also thankful I’m not in a jail in a holding cell . . . .